Wednesday, June 9, 2010

July 8, 2000

I was 13 years old that day. The day I made a new friend.

His name, was Harry Potter.

It's funny how quickly I fell in love. It was on a whim that my mother purchased this book. Wanting to know what all the fuss was about, she bought the first one on the day the fourth one released.

When asked prior to this day whether or not I wanted to read them, I sniffed rather disdainfully at my father saying they "looked stupid". Oh silly me.. If I had only known then.

This was also the week that my older sister started her first job at a Domino's in town. She had started Sorcerer's Stone before her shift, I of course, picked it up while she was working. My little head exploded. I was just starting chapter 10 when she came home. She'd had a rough day, answering phones, getting orders wrong, being called stupid by rude hungry people.. My mother made me give it back. After all she started it first. And had a bad day!

I was frustrated certainly.

I needed to know. What was going to happen next? Was it really Snape? Will Ron and Harry ever be friends with Hermione? These were all pressing issues people! Already I was hooked. From the very first chapter.

"The Boy Who Lived."

I knew there had to be a reason I needed to read them again. Knew it. See? One month shy of ten years Harry and I. One of my oldest and dearest friends. For books rarely ever let you down. Harry hasn't.

It's why I keep him around.

3 comments:

  1. I keep him around for his broody Byronic heroism. ^_^ I heart those books! Can't wait for the last movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love those books . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys want to join me for the weeklong celebration/mourning of the end of the series? We will watch them aaaaaaall, cook the food, and upon the eve of the final movie... Dress up to go to the movie and cry buckets?

    Whaddya say ladies? Seriously. It's gonna rock. All week. Next year..

    ReplyDelete